You are here
Home > Health > Signs Your Home Has Toxic Black Mold and How To Get Rid of It

Signs Your Home Has Toxic Black Mold and How To Get Rid of It

Of all the types of mold that exist, the black mold is definitely the most toxic and dangerous one. Black mold grows in dark and humid areas in your home, and if you notice it, you have to do everything it takes to eliminate it from your walls as soon as possible. The toxic black mold spores can be easily inhaled and are responsible for a variety of serious health problems.

Why is black mold so toxic and dangerous?

Unlike other types of mold, the black mold is highly toxic and has been associated with asthma and other respiratory problems. However, some studies have also related it to neurological problems, behavioral dysfunction and brain inflammation as well.

Here are 4 symptoms which indicate the mold’s growing your home’s walls:

Musty smell

If your home smells musty all of a sudden, you can bet you’re having a mold problem. Check every wall and room nicely – if you can’t find any black mold, remove the wallpapers and tiles and you’ll locate the problem.

Water damage

If there’s water damage on your walls in the form of rings and spots, they will definitely contribute to mold growth. Clean the spots with a disinfectant first or call a professional for help.

Respiratory irritation

Watery eyes, headaches, itchy and irritated skin are the top symptoms of black mold exposure. If you’ve recognized them, go to a doctor as soon as possible.

Odd colors and visible growth on your walls

Like the name suggests, black mold is black, but it can appear with a whitish, greenish or orange shade.

How to eliminate black mold?

Here are 4 steps you can take to eliminate the black mold from your walls:

Destroy it yourself

In order to prevent the spores from spreading, close off the area first. Seal any cracks in your walls with duct tape, then put on rubber gloves and clean the moldy area with water, soap and a scrubbing brush. Throw out the infected parts that come out of the wall, and spray a strong disinfectant. Open the windows in that room and leave it to ventilate for a couple of days.

The best disinfectants against black mold are grapefruit seed extract, tea tree oil, white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.


In order to prevent black mold from creeping up your walls, you should resolve any water leaks in your walls, ventilate your rooms and reduce the humidity in your home.